Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Veggie Pancakes



Hello! Today I am writing my first post! I am also including a recipe that I created in my small kitchen in Northwest Georgia. Please bear with me as I learn the "ropes" of blogging and capturing the "good side" of my dishes in pictures.

Recently I found an online cooking club. The next six months the club is focusing on recipes by the talented, minimalist Mark Bittman. This week's theme was "small bites of Bittman" (Isn't that a cute way to describe appetizer recipes created by Mark Bittman?)

I searched the net, read a few books and decided to create Mr. Mark Bittman's Vegetable Pancakes. Living in the south and in the hills, we tend to call any vegetable that is cut, battered and fried "fritters".

When I first bit into one, I heard and felt a crunch. The crunch was followed by a creamy taste of awesome veggie goodness! Scallions and bell peppers were diced very fine, and carrots, potatoes and celery were grated. I think the starch in the potatoes helped hold the pancakes together. I also used an extra egg.

The recipe was easy, cheap and very fun. I added some garlic, paprika, and onion powder to spice them up. Anything can be added to suit someone's palate. Enjoy..I sure did!


VEGETABLE PANCAKES: (Mark Bittman)

About 1 1/2 pounds grated vegetables, peeled first if necessary (3 cups packed), and squeezed dry
1/2 small onion, grated; or 4 scallions
1 egg or 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1/4 cup white or whole wheat flour, more or less
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive or vegetable oil or butter for greasing the pan

  1. Heat the oven to 275°F. Grate the vegetable or vegetables by hand or with the grating disk of a food processor. Mix together the vegetables, onion, egg, and 1/4 cup of the flour. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add a little more flour if the mixture isn’t holding together.
  2. Put a little butter or oil in a large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. When the butter is melted or the oil is hot, drop in spoonfuls of the batter, using a fork to spread the vegetables into an even layer, press down a bit. Work in batches to prevent overcrowding. (Transfer finished pancakes to the oven until all are finished.) Cook, turning once, until nicely browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.

17 comments:

  1. Yummmmmmmmmo...those were the best pancakes I ever ate.....thanks for saving me one Maggie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It looks and sounds like your veggie pancakes turned out beautifully!! You've sealed the deal that I'm making these soon...that's the 2nd time in the last day or so I've seen them...I'm now officially craving some! So glad to have you cooking along with us at IHCC :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ciao !! I'm glad you loved these too !!! They were great !

    ReplyDelete
  4. The veggie pancakes were a popular choice this time around and I can certainly see why! They look super crunchy and delicious. I'm making a mental note that I need to try them:D Thanks so much for joining us at IHCC. Hope to see you back next week!
    P.S. You did a fantastic job on your first blog post. Looks like you are a natural blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost made these fritters--they look wonderful. So glad you are cooking along with us at IHCC and great job with your first post and entry. Can't wait to see more!

    Aloha,

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your first blog post - keep blogging.

    Your fritters look great - I think these would be perfect for a light Sunday night dinner (which is often corn fritters night at our house). Looking forward to trying them.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound delicious! Welcome to the blog world.

    I love anything that is chock full of veggie goodness.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog