Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Pan Roasted Corn and Tomato Salad


This week's theme at IHCC is summer-loving! Yes, summer has arrived. Here in Georgia this week it has been in the high 90's very humid and a scant amount of rain has blessed us. For this weeks IHCC theme, I chose Mark Bittman's Pan Roasted Corn and Tomato Salad, (yes, another salad, it's HOT in Georgia).


Summer cooking to me is easy, sometimes fast, and doesn't require the oven. This time of year allows us to cook from nature's delicious, summertime, vegetable bounty!

I scoured the local trade day early this morning before sunup and discovered that many local farmers were there and wow their gardens must be doing very well this growing season. Is there such a thing as vegetable bliss? I picked through the corn and chose a sweet corn and what we call a "mill" corn here. Sweet corn is what is recognized most. Its the scrumptious,bright,yellow corn that we slather with butter most often. "Mill" corn is white, not quite as sweet and is used most often in frying,roasting and in wintertime vegetable soups. I decided to use a mixture of both. I also selected locally grown, vine ripe tomatoes and these Tomatoes were gorgeous.
The recipe does not call for sweet bell peppers, however, I could not resist throwing in the bell peppers and some fresh garlic.Two Serrano peppers were seeded, chopped and tossed in as well.




The bacon was cooked,removed from the skillet and allowed to drain and cool. I also poured about half of the rendered fat out of the skillet before I added the corn and onions. I wanted to crumble the bacon into the salad.

~~I also soak the ears of corn in cold water, and the do a twisting motion with my hand under cold water to remove the silks. I have read that placing the corn, husks and all in a microwave for a few minutes will also help. Haven't tried this one yet. It does sound like a good idea.


This is one fresh, veggie loaded salad! Imagine the possibilities, anything could be added.




Pan Roasted Corn and Tomato Salad: Adapted from Mark Bittman


1/4 pound bacon, chopped

1 small red onion, chopped

4 to 6 ears corn, stripped of their kernels (2 to 3 cups)

Juice of 1 lime, or more to taste

2 cups cored and chopped tomatoes

1 medium ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped

2 fresh small chilies, like Thai, seeded and minced

Salt and black pepper

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, more or less.

1. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it begins to render fat; add onion and cook until just softened, about 5 minutes, then add corn. Continue cooking, stirring or shaking pan occasionally, until corn begins to brown a bit, about 5 more minutes; remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Drain fat if you wish.

2. Put lime juice in a large bowl and add bacon-corn mixture; then toss with remaining ingredients. Taste, adjust the seasoning and serve warm or at room temperature.

Yield: 4 servings.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/19/dining/191mrex.html?_r=3&ref=dining

11 comments:

  1. I bet that was delish...cause it looks like it was....yummmmmm-o

    ReplyDelete
  2. How refreshing! I bet that would be great ice cold too. I must give this a try, as I am a vegaholilc ;D
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is definitely what summer is all about!! I love everything about that salad and wish I had a big ol' plate of it right now! YUM. Great Summer Lovin' post =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've spent several summers in Georgia and I agree with you....it is hot, hot, hot down there!! When I think of summer, I think of delicious corn on the cob and also pan-fried corn like this. Love that you amped it up with all those veggies. I bet the serrano peppers really spiced things up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I have a serious addiction to avocado. This looks like it would be great with tortilla chips (although that would definitely up the unhealthy factor).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like the perfect salad for a hot day/night. Love the combination of ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks yummy and would be a nice picnic salad

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love roasted corn in just about anything. This looks Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a refreshing salad! The perfect accompaniment to a good burger.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog