Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Southern Delicacy: Fried Okra and Green Tomatoes


I picked up some fresh okra and green tomatoes at our local trade day. Trade day here is held every Tuesday and Saturday morning. It is a local flea market where folks sell odds and ends, fresh, plants, anything you can imagine and Yes, fresh locally grown veggies.

I decided to fry up the okra and green tomatoes southern style!

The okra was crispy and the green tomatoes were crispy, tangy and creamy.

I remember visiting my relatives once that live above the "Mason Dixon" line. They looked at me strangely when I mention fried okra and green tomatoes. They had never tasted this southern delicacy! I searched the local markets and it was a real hunt in the north for fresh okra!
I pulled out an Aunt's iron skillet and fried my relatives up a batch. They really enjoyed the new way to eat okra.

I am also sending this one in for the side dish showdown over at Cinnamon Spice.

Side Dish Showdown Blogger Event


My recipe is easy.
1-2 pounds green tomatoes
1 1/2 - 2 pounds fresh okra
2-3 cups of oil
3 cups yellow cornmeal
2 cups all-purpose flour
salt, pepper to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste
paper towels for draining.








Wash and dry the okra and tomatoes thoroughly.
Slice the okra in half inch bites and the tomatoes in wedges.
soak the okra and tomatoes in buttermilk while your oil is heating
preheat oil to 375. Canola or vegetable oil (in a skillet, an iron skillet gives the best scald (southern term)
Add 3 cups of yellow cornmeal and 2 cups of flour to a ziploc bag
Add salt, pepper and a small amount of cayenne pepper if you would like some kick to flour
Take a handful or so of soaked okra and tomatoes add to bag, coat and drop into heated oil.
Fry until they turn a nice golden brown and begins to float.
Fry in small batches
Drain on paper towels, season to taste

voila a soothing southern delicacy!

5 comments:

  1. I absolutely love fried green tomatoes! Still haven't tried okra...this is the way to go when I do. Thanks for sending it to the Showdown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy... I've lived in the south for 6 years now - still cannot eat grits even though I've tried it many ways, shapes and forms, and always thought okra would never be the veggie for me (the slime....!) but I tried it this way, following your recipe and ohhh yum! So good! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome! There's nothing like a big helping of summer fried okra!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Impressive article dude! Thanks, However I am experiencing troubles with your RSS.
    I don't know why I cannot subscribe to it. Is there anyone else getting identical RSS problems?
    Anyone who knows the answer can you kindly respond?
    Thanks!!

    my web page; peopleinput.biz

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog