Pages

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Brownies



It is sweet indulgence time! Is there a better time to satisfy your sweet tooth than celebrating a girl's night in? (Well I can break anytime for anything chocolate!)

This week's theme at IHCC is Girl's Night In. Time to bring out the chocolate! I choose Brownies by Mark Bittman. http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/22/recipe-of-the-day-brownies/


The recipe was quick and only called for 7 ingredients. Waiting for the brownies to cool was a real test of patience. I did use parchment paper to line my baking pan. I confess I have never thought about that when baking brownies. They turned out of the pan rather nicely. This will be a recipe I will prepare again. I wish I had added pecans or walnuts. Oh another reason to make another batch!

~ I did use the vanilla extract. It didn't make it into the picture. I also sprinkled some shaved chocolate and powdered sugar on top of the brownies.

Brownies

Yield About 1 dozen brownies

Mark Bittman

As long as you keep the flour to a minimum and don\'t add chemical leavening like baking powder, you will produce a true and beautiful brownie.

Ingredients
  • 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) salted or unsalted butter, more for greasing pan
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • Pinch salt if you use unsalted butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
Method
  • 1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over very low heat, stirring occasionally. When chocolate is just about melted, remove from heat, and continue to stir until mixture is smooth. Meanwhile, grease an 8-inch-square baking pan. If you like, also line it with waxed or parchment paper and grease that.
  • 2. Transfer mixture to a bowl, and stir in sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add flour (and salt and vanilla if you are using them), and stir to incorporate. Stop stirring when no traces of flour remain.
  • 3. Pour into pan, and bake 20 to 30 minutes, or until set and barely firm in the middle. Cool on a rack before cutting.

Add Image
Add Image

9 comments:

  1. This girl LOVES her brownies...num ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! They look like a decadent and really delicious brownie. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look moist, dense and fudgy - the perfect brownie!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi New follower from friendly friday. They look great!
    jbdownie5@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maggie!!! I just made these today and they were soooooo good. Thanks again for the tip on this wonderful recipe!!! I'm going to feature it and your blog of course in the next few weeks as time permits with my new baby arriving! thanks again. Your the best. Oh and I had a suggestion fo ryou. I knew that I had seen these on your blog a while back but when I went to find the recipe I had a hard time. I had to scroll and scroll back to find it. It would be Sooooo much easier for us to find your awesome recipes if you started a "recipes" page:) Just a thought!! Thanks again:)

    Hanna

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog