Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Tomato Jam






It is potluck week at IHCC. I wanted something spicy, tangy and a little sweet. I chose Mark Bittman's Tomato Jam recipe for this week's pot luck theme.

Never have I thought to make jam out of tomatoes! I am a tomato lover and enjoy tomatoes in many ways. I look forward each summer to those locally grown tomatoes for toasted tomato sandwiches. Toasted bread, mayo, salt and pepper together are awesome! A simple tomato sauce with pasta is addictive and comforting. Oh and I can't leave out tomato dumplings.(That is another post and I wonder if anyone else has ever had Tomato dumplings?) Back to the recipe as I check back in from my tomato dreams.

I saw this recipe and thought sweet,tangy and spicy all together with one of my most favorite foods.

The recipe is very EASY! I literally threw everything into the pot and left it! Well I did go back to stir here and there, I just wanted to inhale deeply over the pot. I also used "regular" vine tomatoes. The recipe yields about a pint. I think next time I will double the recipe.

The jam keeps very well in the fridge and I slathered it on toasted french bread.



IHCC Side Dish Showdown Blogger Event

Tomato Jam Mark Bittman

1-1/2 pounds good ripe tomatoes (Roma are best), cored and coarsely chopped
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon fresh grated or minced ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 jalapeno or other peppers, stemmed, seeded and minced, or red pepper flakes or cayenne to taste

1. Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan, Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.

2. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture has consistency of thick jam, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, then cool and refrigerate until ready to use; this will keep at least a week.

Yield: About 1 pint.

11 comments:

  1. looks good! Tastes good too! Seems like and odd combo but the taste packs a good wallop! Especially mommas ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tomato jam looks so delicious slathered on the thick French bread toasts. I am marking this one to try--love the spicy/sweet combo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fun recipe! I'm thinking it would make a great topping for some chicken or even fish. You could really put this jam on so many things. Thanks for pointing this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That tomato jam looks delicious....yummmmo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous idea! I never would have thought of tomatoes and jam in the same sentence. but I'm going to now! Especially with 12 tomato plants in my garden...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I am bookmarking this to try once summer comes and my tomatoes start growing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sound of this tomato jam! I can't wait for fresh tomatoes from the garden. I know what I'll be making! Thanks for sending it to the Showdown!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds amazing! Now I know one more thing to try with all of the tomatoes that will (hopefully) be growing in my garden this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love the sound of tomato jam, especially with the cumin and the cinnamon! I am so making this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great recipe for a tomato jam.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog