Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Horseradish and Garlic "tater" cakes.





Ever contemplated what to do with your potatoes?

I cooked a juicy and tender roast and had planned on preparing mashed potatoes as the roast's sidekick. As I washed, peeled and cubed, I decided that the potatoes deserved an uplifting so that the yummy roast would not overshadow the simple potatoes greatness!

I decided to use horseradish and garlic to give the potatoes the desired kick. Horseradish is great with beef.

Now that the taste was decided, did I want to leave my potatoes simply mashed? My eyes darted around the kitchen surveying the different tools and gadgets only found in one's kitchen and fell upon my muffin pan. Ahhh Haaa! I wasn't conjuring up visions of sweet cupcakes or marvelous muffins, in my minds eye I saw "tater cakes".

My simple, yet delicious potatoes evolved into a creamy, garlicky, melt in your mouth dish that ended with a slight kick of horseradish.

I thought they were kind of cute too!


The recipe:

6-8 potatoes
5-6 cups stock (enough to cover potatoes)
4 garlic cloves
1 cup heavy cream or milk
About 4 tablespoons peeled and grated horseradish (also may use prepared horseradish)
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
4 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper to taste
non stick cooking spray
Parsley for prettiness

wash potatoes, peel, cube and rinse.
Place into pot. Cover with stock, season with salt and pepper.
Bring to a good boil and cook until fork tender.

While potatoes cook:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare horseradish- add grated horseradish to processor or chopper with a few drops of water and pulse until creamy, add more water if needed.

Mince garlic

When potatoes are fork tender drain.

Add cream, butter,horseradish,garlic,bread crumbs, salt and pepper to taste.

Mash until nearly smooth, a few bumps are okay. Can also use mixer to cream as well.

Spray muffin pan enthusiastically with non stick spray and spoon in potato mixture into each cup, filling completely or 1/2 full depending on how high you would like your tater cake.



Bake for 30 minutes and the last 5 minutes or so I turn the oven on to a low broil to crisp up the top of the cakes. Just peek often at the cakes.

Remove from oven allow to stand a few minutes and gently "dump" cakes out.





AFTER THOUGHTS:
The tater cakes were delish. After eating the cakes, I decided next time I may
add chives,maybe cheese. The possibilities with the potato are endless!

7 comments:

  1. These tater cakes look really wonderful. I love potatoes and this would be a great new way to cook them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never have thought of putting horse-radish on my potato...and I'm a potato loving fool...of sorts! :-] But now that I see it...bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those little cakes are just too cute - great way to cook your potatoes and love the choice of horseradish and garlic for your flavourings.
    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look really really good Maggie. I might have to try these soon too. But today I'm making the chicken and dumplings AGAIN because my husband and I loved it soooooo much. I will be forever grateful to you for that wonderful recipe:)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog